Friday, July 10, 2009

Random Musical Jibble



I started this post two weeks ago, then never finished. Then I thought of a bunch of other stuff to blog about so I figured I would just put it together, like a musical smorgasboard.

Anyone who knows me is aware that Be Your Own Pet is one of my favorite bands. I love the messy punk style, spastic screaming of the singer Jemina Pearl and lyrics like "Have fun and be safe with it/Just kidding, fuck shit up!/ We ride bikes, cars are for idiots" They broke up last August and the split makes me sad on almost a daily basis. Thankfully, BYOP kinda lives on in the new projects of the old members. One is Turbo Fruits, with former guitarist Jonas Stein on vocals and lead guitar. Turbo Fruits sound kind of like Be Your Own Pet if they smoked a lot of weed and had a male singer (coincidentally, many Turbo Fruits songs have a cannabis theme). 

Former lead singer of Be Your Own Pet, Jemina Pearl, is working on solo stuff. It's got kinda an old school girl group vibe. It's cool I guess. At least she's not playing an acoustic guitar and writing Jewel-esque songs. But I will miss songs about her taking xanax and drowning her boyfriend in bogs. Reincarnations are better than nothing right?

I previously mentioned my girl crush on the lead singer of Metric, Emily Haines. I've been listening to her solo stuff (Emily Haines & the Soft Skeleton) more lately and it's beautiful beautiful beautiful. She has such a unique voice and her vocals seem to soar more without the heavy synths of Metric. 

Also, I just got to see an early screening of 500 Days of Summer. It was SO GOOD and the soundtrack is SO GOOD. Please go see it.

Tracklisting for 500 Days of Summer Soundtrack

  • A Story of Boy Meets Girl - Mychael Danna and Rob Simonsen
  • Us - Regina Spektor
  • There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
  • Bad Kids - Black Lips
  • Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths
  • There Goes The Fear - Doves
  • You Make My Dreams - Hall & Oates
  • Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
  • Quelqu'un M'a Dit - Carla Bruni
  • Mushaboom - Feist
  • Hero - Regina Spektor
  • Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel
  • Vagabond - Wolfmother
  • She's Got You High - Mumm-Ra
  • Here Comes Your Man - Meaghan Smith
  • Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - She & Him

  • 3 comments:

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    2. OOOooo, thank you for that :-)
      hmm, yeah. that IS an awesome soundtrack. i'll have to see the movie just for the music now :-P

      ReplyDelete
    3. well, now that i've clicked on all the links and gave the artists a good listening at.....wow, i dig all those musicians....and it's really hit me how much the radio and mainstream popular music has gone down the tubes. i'm completely disgusted that i've never heard these bands before and wish to find many, many more like them (as im sure there are plenty).

      kill radio [?]

      ReplyDelete