Saturday, August 15, 2009

Curiosity Killed the Cat... and I'm the Killed.



This post is in reference to a re-discovery for one of my favorite No Idea Records bands: Small Brown Bike. Not quite cycle themed in nature, rather, they seem to bring every musical instrument of the band to screeching emotional crescendo. True story: for at least a month I would leave my MP3 player at home when I studied because if I brought along Small Brown Bike I would be so focused on listening to their albums that nothing homework-wise would ever be accomplished.

I was waiting outside a show in Boston on Thursday night and found myself next to another kid in a Small Brown Bike shirt. After the immediate "where did you get that?" query, we began to go back and forth about how much we appreciated the band, to the point where as soon as I came home, I dug out their LP, plugged my headphones into the turntable, and listened to the whole A-side of the record.

This is definitely something I want to share, their first album "Our Own Wars"

Their label, No Idea Records, has an amazing distro and catalog with an eclectic array of bands and merch that span the first Against Me albums to 80s-era Chewbacca action figures (no, seriously). If you are a fan of folk-polk, quasi-experimental electronica, or plan straight up emotional hardcore slash indie, they are truly an amazing resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment