Monday, August 3, 2009

New Style? "My Boyfriend's Shirt / Blazer" Hits the Streets.

Start checking those random Macy's styled catalogs that are discarded with the daily mail. Today, I spotted an advertisement for a new themed line of women's fashion dubbed "my boyfriend's shirt".

From what I can determine, this new trend dictates a style of dress patterned after oversized, male clothing on women. Now, this particular idea is no way novel. For decades, women have adopted originally masculine clothing such as peacoats, jeans, corduroy, and boots with outstanding success. It may have roots in male themed occupation, but these girls have made it look good, too.

This new trend deviates from this previous notion. Rather than pursuing a feminine line of styled products or simply utilising smaller sizes, this trend fosters the impression that the woman is not wearing her own clothes, but those that belong to a familiar man. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not slamming this as a "whore" image or debasing female sexuality. I've most definitely shared sweaters, jackets, and knitwear with partners before, and why not? Yes, it is endearing and sweet and let's face it... ultimately, it's also extremely convenient.

The clothing line offers slightly oversized or baggy garments, usually themed along the lines of shirts and blazers. Titles are as such: "My Boyfriend's Shirt", "My Boyfriend's Blazer", etc.

The obstacle in mind for this particular fashion is that it is marketed AS a "boyfriend" product. Sex sells, but in this case it is the assumption of sex that is moving these garments off the shelves. Ultimately, my indignation towards this clothing line arrives from the point that there is simply no need for ANYONE to purchase these clothes. The girls that proffered this image did so out of necessity and the girls who pursue that amazing indie, genderless style pull it off through second hand stores or consignment shops.

Overall, I felt insulted by this marketing gimmick. This engineered social image of waking up in someone else's bed seems to prey on human emotions and our want for love. It offers up a minuscule element of a desirable situation, without all of the truly significant components that make it all worthwhile.

Ultimately, it reminds me of this product.


No comments:

Post a Comment